Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What I'm reading Wednesday!

I have recently, over the past 2-3 years I guess, have really taken a liking to reading. You know, you're in school and you have to read crazy stuff like, well I can't even remember what we had to read in high school, but I do remember I hated  to read. I had other much more important things to do like, watch Dawson's Creek and Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (the series). Or catch up on my monthly magazines, you know Teen and Seventeen.  And there was the ever looming drama of high school, the he said, she said what?! So I never made it a priority to read too much unless I had an upcoming test. But enter a new life, where I married my awesome, handsome, incredible husband. He loves to read. He was reading way above his reading level, I think, since he learned to read. So he reads all the time. I really started to read when ( I only semi-hate to admit it) the movie Twilight came out. I was thinking, this is a pretty good movie, I wonder if the books are any good? And of course, they were.They were 10x better than the movie. So I started reading more and more. Now I love it. I have already finished two series since the new year. I'm not a fast reader by any means, but this is a big deal for me.

The first series I read this year was: Inheritance Cycle. It has 3 books out already, with the fourth coming out this November. The first book is called Eragon.  (It even had a movie made after it but I really suggest you read the books because the movie is awful compared to the book.) The second is called Eldest and the third is called Brisinger. The author Christopher Paolini,  starting writing the books when he was 17. I was so surprised a 17 year old could be so creative.(Remember it was all about Dawson's Creek and seventeen when I was well, 17!)  It's your non-typical Dragon story. I never thought I would like that kind of book, but I love them. These books are about Dragons and their riders. It has everything from dwarfs to elves. And that's all I can say without  giving away the story. It's a really great series if you ever get to read them, I recommend them. My husband has read these books and has told me he gets to read the 4th one first. But since I'll probably be the one to make the trip to the book store to get it, I so have dibs! :)

The second series I just finished reading, today as a matter of fact, is the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series. It is a really great series. It is about a demi-god (half mortal, half god in Greek mythology) who has just found out who he is and has to basically save the world. { This was also made into a movie called Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief. Once again I suggest you watch the movie before you read the books or not at all. It is nothing like the books. The movie is really cute and is along the same lines as the book but I mean what book made into a movie is really ever better than the book?!(Not to many!)}It is ancient Greek mythology in the modern day U.S. It is an easy read, so it would be good for tween's  and teenagers. I read the whole series(5 books) in about 2 weeks. It would also be good, if you home school and your child is learning the history of Greek mythology. The books start out when he's 12 and ends when he's 16, the books are really age appropriate. I also recommend this series. It is really good!

So as I try to lay my anti-nap children down for a nap, I am to end this book post. I am trying to figure out what to read next, I'm  just not sure what to read...yet! So if you have any ideas on a really good, can't put it down book or series...let me know! Until next time....Happy Reading!


Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

1 comment:

  1. I love that you love to read now! I've always loved reading. I was one of those nerds who read at lunch. LOL.
    I always read above my reading level in school too. I was the AR champ in 8th grade! (read the most books)
    If you haven't already, start a weRead account on FB to keep up with what you've read, write reviews and see what everyone else is reading. I love it! I have a tendency to re-read books, so the application keeps me from doing it too often.
    If you have time, check out the "My Recent Reads" tab on my blog.
    The Janet Evanovich series is awesome. Have you heard of True Blood on HBO? The book series, written by Charlaine Harris is awesome! Just ask Amanda! I told her about them and she can't get enough!!
    Hope this helps!
    ♥ Whitney

    ReplyDelete

Show some love, leave a comment!